SEMrush SEO Ranking Factors Study
Used by more than 1.5 million marketers across the world, SEMrush has become a highly-successful SaaS product. It has been discovered that direct website traffic is the most important and influential ranking factor; this is why it is so important to get users to go straight to your site. Recent research was conducted regarding the product, and here is a 2017 Summary of the SEM Rush SEO Ranking Factors study.
- 65 percent of domains that have good rankings for high-volume keywords are HTTPS sites.
- For domains ranking within the Top-3, their bounce rate is 49 percent. And it might be surprising to know that 18 percent of domains that rank well for high-volume keywords don’t actually have the keyword in the body of their content.
- Three percent of backlinks contain a keyword in the anchor text.
- Backlink factors are very important when it comes to rankings.
- All backlink factors, except for those related to anchor texts, share 5th place in the backlink importance chart. And all of these factors impact one another, meaning if you change one factor but don’t change the others, you aren’t likely to see an improvement.
- Content with branded keywords will return more relevant but less popular websites in the top ranking positions.
- Keyword usage is still one of the most popular SEO techniques used today.
- Keywords used in titles, meta descriptions, and the body of texts aren’t as influential as other ranking factors.
What is the number one take away from the SEMRush research?
Make sure your website is using HTTPS. If you don’t have an HTTPS site, you need to get one. The majority of domains in the high-volume group have an HTTPS version of their site. And when you create your site, don’t overlook the importance of analyzing behavior signals, such as whether or not customers are coming to your site via another site or directly through a search bar. If they are coming straight to your site, this is a good sign to Google and other search engines that your site has high authority and value.