If there’s anything that’s constant when it comes to SEO & Local Search, it’s that they are constantly changing. What with Google constantly tweaking and tinkering with their algorithms, and with new insights and strategies constantly being proffered by the industries gurus, not to mention just learning the ins and outs of search best practices in the first place, it’s a never-ending learning process to stay ahead of the game and your competition.
When it comes to local search. It’s a market that’s in a state of flux, changing and evolving, and maintaining the most effective local marketing strategy requires you to stay on top of it. Fortunately, there are plenty of online resources to help you do just that. Most of these focus on local search subjects, and some are more general in nature, and though there are many more, these are good sites to start with.
10 Great Online Local Search Resources
- Google blogs – First thing to do is go straight to the horse’s mouth, and with 86% of the search market share, Google is the biggest horse around. Both Google’s main blog and the Think with Google blog are essential for keeping tabs on what’s happening with search in general.
- Search Engine Land Local – Search Engine Land has long been one of the top go-to sources for news and information about search and SEO, and their local section is chock full of breaking industry news and educational articles.
- Local Search Association Insider – As the title implies, this is a publication for industry insiders, but with plenty of information and statistics that will be of interest to SMBs.
- Search Engine Roundtable – One of the most respected sources of the latest breaking news on local SEO and other topics that have an impact on local businesses.
- TechCrunch – Another general info site that keeps its finger on the pulse of new and emerging technologies and software.
- Local U – Local University is an excellent site for anyone wanting to learn the nuts and bolts of local search marketing. Their Last Week in Local podcast and video series is a great resource for keeping up with news and events for those on the go or for those who just prefer these formats.
- Search Engine Journal Local Search – One of the best digital marketing sites on the Web, their local page has plenty of informational and educational articles for newbies and pros alike. Its sections on PPC, social media and content marketing and news are just as well done.
- Blumenthal’s Blog – Officially titled “Understanding Google My Business and Local Search” this blog by SEO expert Mike Blumenthal has earned a lot of respect over the years. One of Blumenthal’s strengths is that he is a small business owner himself, so he offers insights and experience that will be of particular value for SMBs.
- TheSEMPost Local – This site specializes in comprehensive search engine marketing news and is a great resource for keeping up to date on new developments in local search and other aspects of SEO marketing.
- SterlingSky Local Search Forum – Often you can get some of the best insights and tips from those who are down in the trenches fighting the local search battle with you. This is one of the most popular forums of its kinds, and many well-known experts visit regularly to leave insightful comments.
- Institute For Local Self-Reliance – Not focused on search marketing topics per se, but a great site for general news and issues of interest to independent business owners with a lot of info that can be helpful to marketers.
Again, there are a lot of great sites out there dealing with local search, these are just some to get started with. Pick a few that you like and visit them regularly to keep abreast of changes and new techniques in local SEO marketing.