Quick Web Site Start-up and Promotion Guide For Extra Busy Business Owners
Posted on August 22, 2001
By Milana NastetskayaThe biggest problem I've always had promoting my web site is keeping myself focused. After all, what should I be doing? Publishing my own e-zine, placing classified ads, looking for link exchange partners, writing articles... My head is beginning to spin just from trying to list all the promotion strategies available today!
But when my friend who is just starting her Internet presence asked me, "Milana, what should I do now?", it all became very clear: don't spread yourself thin. Choose up to 2 ways to promote your web site and do it for at least 1 month to see if it's effective.
I wrote a brief plan for her to follow this month and I wanted to share it with you. Please, note: this strategy is not appropriate for everyone. It focuses on writing articles, so you must be able to communicate your thoughts on paper. You must also set aside approximately 3-4 hours a week (which is nothing compared to how much time most online business owners spend) and stick to the plan.
Do not try to implement any other strategies at this time. If you get an idea, write down and try it later. If nothing else, this plan will surely bring your site steady growing traffic. Ready?
1. Create a simple 2-5 page web site. Use an easy-to-use web page editor, such as free Netscape Composer available from Netscape web site. Place your sales copy on the main page, and use other pages for information about you, your other products and whatever else you would like your visitors to see.
IMPORTANT: for this strategy, please, offer something free on your web site via an autoresponder. Use GetResponse.com to be able to automatically follow up with people who download your free gift.
Since this promotion strategy will generate a good amount of traffic to your
site, you MUST capture your visitors' e-mails or else you will waste all
this traffic. Mention to them that you will be sending occasional mailings
and that they can always leave your list.
2. Add TITLE and META tags to your web pages and submit them to major Search Engines. Make sure these tags are short and mention only what's relevant. Ask yourself, what word or phrase would I type in the Search Engine if I was looking for my product?
Below is the list of "Submit Site" addresses for most of them:
3. Locate up to 20 e-zines that target the same audience that you are. Make sure they accept articles. Create a text file and record their e-mail address (where you will send your articles), e-zine's title and publisher's name.
TIP: If you want to save even more time in the long run, enter all this data into a mailing list program so all you would have to do is click "Send" button and your articles will be sent to everyone on the list.
Now your web site is set up and the promotion strategy is in place. The rest of the plan will have to be implemented weekly to be effective.
4. Write one quality and informative article a week of interest to your target audience and do the following:
- Add a resource box to the article about you & your product
Here is the list of most popular article directories and lists:
5. Locate up to 3 popular forums where your target audience hangs out. Post replies to their questions up to 1 hour a week. Leave your web site link (or specific article link) behind so people know who you are and why they should listen to your advice.
Follow this plan for at least 4 weeks. Make sure your articles are of high quality and offer a solution to a problem that you target customers might be facing. If you articles are published, expect increase in traffic to your web site. And your freebie should take care of capturing your visitors e-mails.
Your follow-up messages should introduce your products or services. As
always, make sure your subscribers can leave your list at any time.
Milana Nastetskaya is a full time web developer and the author of two books: "Create Your First Business Web Site in 10 days", "65 Instant Web Design Answers".
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Toolkit provides everything you need to promote and optimize your web pages for the search engines. Features include: Ranking, Keyword Density Analysis, Keyword Research, URL Submission, Optimization wizards, just to name a few.
Award winning web site promotion software SubmitWolf can dramatically increase your web site traffic. Submit your web site details to thousands of Search Engines, directories and link pages.
Discover the best keywords to target on your website - KeywordDiscovery compiles keyword search statistics from over 180 search engines world wide, to create the most powerful Keyword Research tool.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Start promoting your business! A directory listing can improve visibility to your website. The AddMe Business Directory is one of the fastest growing business directories offering quality, SEO-friendly listings.