Posted on April 20, 2010
For years now, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for websites has been honed into a fine art with entire companies devoting considerable effort to defining best practices and touting the value of SEO for raising a site's performance on organic search listings. While I believe in the power of SEO, there is a new offering we have started providing to clients which we call Social Media Optimization (SMO). The concept behind SMO is simple:
Implement changes to optimize a site so that it is more easily linked to, more highly visible in social media searches on custom search engines (such as Technorati), and more frequently included in relevant posts on blogs, podcasts and vlogs. Here are 5 rules we use to help guide our thinking with conducting an SMO for a client's website:
1. Increase Your Linkability - This is the first and most important priority for websites. Many sites are “static” - meaning they are rarely updated and used simply for a storefront. To optimize a site for social media, we need to increase the linkability of the content. Adding a blog is a great step, however there are many other ways such as creating white papers and thought pieces, or even simply aggregating content that exists elsewhere into a useful format.
2. Make Tagging And Bookmarking Easy - Adding content features like quick buttons to “add to del.icio.us” are one way to make the process of tagging pages easier, but we go beyond this, making sure pages include a list of relevant tags, suggested notes for a link (which come up automatically when you go to tag a site), and making sure to tag our pages first on popular social bookmarking sites (including more than just the homepage).
Build Links like the Pros Do for as little as $1.67
Google loves links from blogs, especially contextual links in relevant content. SponsoredReviews.com has over 35,000 bloggers waiting to write posts and articles about you, with links back to your websites.
You have full control over the blogs you want to be on. Get links for as low as $1.67 each.
Thousands of high traffic/ high Pagerank sites to choose from. Find out why over 10,000 link builders continue to use Sponsoredreviews.com every month. Contextual Blog Links Work! Call our Toll-Free Number 877-360-3683 or visit our site today. You can setup an account and start buying post in as little as 5 minutes.
Dominate Google for Your Keywords Today!
3. Reward Inbound Links - Often used as a barometer for success of a blog (as well as a website), inbound links are paramount to rising in search results and overall rankings. To encourage more of them, we need to make it easy and provide clear rewards. From using Permalinks to recreating similarly, listing recent linking blogs on your site provides the reward of visibility for those who link to you.
4. Help Your Content Travel - Unlike much of SEO, SMO is not just about making changes to a site. When you have content that can be portable (such as PDFs, video files and audio files), submitting them to relevant sites will help your content travel further, and ultimately drive links back to your site.
5. Encourage The Mashup - In a world of co-creation, it pays to be more open about letting others use your content (within reason). YouTube's idea of providing code to cut and paste so you can imbed videos from their site has fueled their growth. Syndicating your content through RSS also makes it easy for others to create mashups that can drive traffic or augment your content.
If you found this article interesting, you may want to read through other interesting articles such as:
Did You Like This Article?
Why not share this article, copy and paste the link code below into your webpage and share the knowledge with your visitors.
<a href="http://www.addme.com/newsletters/effective-(SMO)-social-media-optimization.htm" title="5 Rules of Effective (SMO) Social Media Optimization">5 Rules of Effective (SMO) Social Media Optimization</a>
Can't wait for the fortnightly newsletter?
Are you a writer?
Submit your own article via our Article Submission Form
blog comments powered by Disqus
Start promoting your business! A directory listing can improve visibility to your website. The AddMe Business Directory is one of the fastest growing business directories offering quality, SEO-friendly listings.